Friday 30 July 2010

Sketch studies

I made this pencil study to try out ways of describing the varying flat surface of the water in the stream and the contrasting vertical planes of the cliffs in the background. Trying to stay very loose with this, deliberately leaving it unfinished to subvert my own self-defeating perfectionism (that murderer of confidence!), doing only as much as I need with the image to get what I want for the moment out of the process.

Experiments in progress, reports to come:
1. a series of small WC sketches of skies
2. using clingfilm, spattering, and sponging to texture backgrounds as a prelude to painting
3. drawing on a toned background

Much excitement today: my sketchbook for Sketchbook Project 2011 from Art House Co-op arrived---yay! My theme is (your name here). Now I just have to figure out how I want to interpret that, and how to work with, or not with, that flimsy and rather shiny moleskine paper.
Reminder: tomorrow is World-Wide Sketchcrawl #28. I will be sketching and posting here.

No comments: