Friday 8 October 2010

Direct painting




Popular painter Fiona Peart uses this term to describe watercolour sketching without prior drawing. The idea is to focus on one shape at a time, starting somewhere in the middle of the picture, and build outwards from there, fitting shapes together in the manner of a jigsaw puzzle and leaving a little white space between the shapes. I have been experimenting with this approach, eg, in my Kirrie show and croft sketches, and find that it forces me to slow down, look carefully, and really think about colour, shape, and proportion before I even touch the brush to the paper. It also forces me to apply paint more deliberately, and to take time to observe how the paint spreads and dries. This is exactly the kind of practice I need, as I tend to be slapdash with watercolour, rushing in without thought and always overworking the paint.

No comments: